Saturday, February 7, 2009

Assignment 1: Remember to take TIME for YOU

Here it goes. The 1st (and hopefully not the only) assignment that I'm giving myself (and to those who wish to join me)... For this week, this is the focus: Find something rejuvenating that you LIKE to do for YOURSELF. Try to do something every day. I know it might not last long, but just try it.

We hear this all the time, right? As a mom, you need to take time for yourself so that you have more to give back. I've always liked the analogy of the tank of gas in a car. As mothers we constantly are going, going, going, using up so much fuel in the service we give to our families, etc., that sometimes we're running on empty and occasionally run out of gas before we can even get to the gas station to fill up again. If we were able to fill up our tanks more often, we'd always be sure to have enough to last us through all the road trips.

Personally, there is some sort of malfunction in my brain that tells me that doing stuff for myself is only taking away from more time that I can't get other things done. I know it's wrong to think that way, but I've had a terrible time trying to convince myself that I need more fun, more rejuvenating activities, etc. My husband can't believe I even think this way (because it's really easy for him give himself relax time). But it's when I hit those moments of utter exhaustion and frustration that I know I need to prioritize some things a little differently.

And then there's the irony of feeling like I don't know what to do for myself, but it feels that some days I spend all day trying not to play with my kids in order to get all my things done. Perhaps it's what things we're talking about that make that difference.

I'm constantly one who says that I need a break or a 'day off', but I don't really allow anyone to make that happen for me, including myself. Today, however, Brandon gave me a break this afternoon and took the kids to the park. I had to state to him before he left, what I was going to do with that time and hold myself accountable. The first few suggestions didn't fly (organize Gia's room, pick up around the house, etc). Yes, those things would help me feel a little better, but it's probably not what I really needed. At last, I decided to exercise while watching a 'chick show'. I caught an episode of Oprah and Supernanny while I burned a few hundred calories. (Since I'm trying to get back into working out, that helped me feel really good).

Ok, enough about me...I would love to hear if any of you have any thoughts on this or how the "assignment" is going for you. Maybe you're already good at this, but if not, it will be a great opportunity. How has what you've done for yourself given you more energy or a better outlook on the day?

(Oh, and if anyone knows how to get the comments to be shown the main page of my blog, let me know...i can't figure that one out. I think it could benefit everyone to see comments from other people than myself.)

1 comment: